/ricerca/ansaen/search.shtml?any=
Show less

Se hai scelto di non accettare i cookie di profilazione e tracciamento, puoi aderire all’abbonamento "Consentless" a un costo molto accessibile, oppure scegliere un altro abbonamento per accedere ad ANSA.it.

Ti invitiamo a leggere le Condizioni Generali di Servizio, la Cookie Policy e l'Informativa Privacy.

Puoi leggere tutti i titoli di ANSA.it
e 10 contenuti ogni 30 giorni
a €16,99/anno

  • Servizio equivalente a quello accessibile prestando il consenso ai cookie di profilazione pubblicitaria e tracciamento
  • Durata annuale (senza rinnovo automatico)
  • Un pop-up ti avvertirà che hai raggiunto i contenuti consentiti in 30 giorni (potrai continuare a vedere tutti i titoli del sito, ma per aprire altri contenuti dovrai attendere il successivo periodo di 30 giorni)
  • Pubblicità presente ma non profilata o gestibile mediante il pannello delle preferenze
  • Iscrizione alle Newsletter tematiche curate dalle redazioni ANSA.


Per accedere senza limiti a tutti i contenuti di ANSA.it

Scegli il piano di abbonamento più adatto alle tue esigenze.

'La Russa is a father' says equal opportunities minister

'La Russa is a father' says equal opportunities minister

Defends Senate speaker against claims of sexism, victim blaming

ROME, 09 July 2023, 14:47

Redazione ANSA

ANSACheck

- ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

-     ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
- ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Equal Opportunities Minister Eugenia Roccella defended Senate Speaker Ignazio La Russa on Saturday amid criticism by opposition parties for his public defence of his son Leonardo, who is under investigation for suspected sexual assault, and alleged sexist comments and victim blaming towards the young woman who reported the alleged offence.
    "I do not enter into (the merit of) individual cases and the reaction of a person who has emotional ties," said Roccella of the leading exponent of Premier Giorgia Meloni's right-wing Brothers of Italy (FdI) party and the holder of the second highest office of state.
    "He is the father of the eventual suspect," she added.
    "What I can say is that La Russa is the one who first proposed a men-only demonstration against violence against women, because this is not a problem that only effects women but also men. This already seems to me to be an answer," said the minister. On Friday La Russa issued a statement saying he was "certain" his youngest son Leonardo had nothing to answer for after Corriere della Sera reported that a compliant has been filed against the young man by a 22-year-old woman for allegedly sexually assaulting her at his home after a night at a Milan disco on May 18.
    "I am counting on the Public Prosecutor's Office, in which I have always placed my trust during my long professional career, to shed light (on the matter) as quickly as possible in order to dispel any doubt," said La Russa, also challenging "the account of a girl who, by her own admission, had consumed cocaine before meeting my son".
    Such an account "objectively raises many doubts", he added.
    In the statement La Russa also took issue with the fact that the complaint had been filed 40 days after the alleged assault.
    "Over and above his son's responsibility, which it is down to the judiciary to clarify, it is disgusting to hear words from the second highest office of State that once again intend to undermine the credibility of women who report sexual violence on grounds of how long it has taken them or whether they had consumed alcohol or drugs, as if this were an automatic presumption of their consent," responded centre-left opposition Democratic Party (Pd) secretary Elly Schlein.
    "The President of the Senate cannot perform secondary victimisation," she added.
    "It is precisely because of these kinds of words that so many women do not report (sexual violence) for fear of not being believed. It is unacceptable for those holding institutional positions to legitimise sexist prejudice," concluded Schlein.
   
   

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Copyright ANSA

Not to be missed

Share

Or use

ANSA Corporate

If it is news,
it is an ANSA.

We have been collecting, publishing and distributing journalistic information since 1945 with offices in Italy and around the world. Learn more about our services.